Pre-sales questions -- Quickbooks and Import/Export feature

Share your thoughts about the program, or just talk to other SurfShop™ users.

Moderator: frankjan

ki001

Pre-sales questions -- Quickbooks and Import/Export feature

Post by ki001 » Dec 27, 2004 5:55 am

I have some questions about the Quickbooks integration functionality.  This is one of the features that will determine if I buy Surf Shop Pro and it is one of the least documented.

My questions are as follows:

Can I import my existing inventory items into Surf Shop Pro? If so, in what format? (There is no documented data file format).  

Is there a way to force users to setup an account to make purchases? (That is, not accept purchases unless the user creates an account first.  This will be used to avoid duplication upon import to Quickbooks and to track order history.)

Are new customer accounts automatically setup in Quickbooks through the cart system export function?

Is the procedure for importing into Quickbooks documented anywhere? (Im currently using Pro 2004)  Can I test it from the online demo? (The downloadable demo is insufficient since the core functionality I need is unavailable).

When performing the import for a date range into Quickbooks, will duplicate entries for a particular date range be discarded/ignored or will they import duplicate entries?  That is, if an import is performed for the dates 12/5 through 12/6 and then performed later in time for 12/5 through 12/10, will the entries from 12/5 and 12/6 be imported the second time or will they be recognized as previously imported records and ignored?  Is there a way to specify date ranges to export from the Surf Shop Pro?

Is there a way to record the PayPal transaction fee into a particular account in Quickbooks automatically and record the purchase price minus transaction fee into the product sales account?

Is there a way to offer affiliates a discount code that calculates a percentage discount rather than a fixed amount? (e.g. 5% discount as opposed to $5)

Is there a way to associate use of a particular discount code with a particular account and prevent that code from being used by other users?

Is all support handled through this forum?  Even though it generally wouldn't be needed, is there a way to reach someone in the event of a major problem?  Is there a fee associated with those services?

Are update releases included with purchase of a license?  How does your company notify customers of software changes or updates?

You might want to post your reply as sticky. other visitors may have similar questions in the future.  Thanks in advance for your help.

-ki

frankjan
Site Admin

Re: Pre-sales questions -- Quickbooks and Import/Export feat

Post by frankjan » Dec 28, 2004 10:37 am

Can I import my existing inventory items into Surf Shop Pro? If so, in what format?
Yes, you can, in either tabbed or comma delimited format.  Export the sample info to see how it's arranged.  Don't forget to include the field names as the first row.
Can I test it from the online demo? (The downloadable demo is insufficient since the core functionality I need is unavailable).
The only functionality missing in the demo should be the check out function.  Other than that, it should be complete.
When performing the import for a date range into QuickBooks, will duplicate entries for a particular date range be discarded/ignored or will they import duplicate entries?  That is, if an import is performed for the dates 12/5 through 12/6 and then performed later in time for 12/5 through 12/10, will the entries from 12/5 and 12/6 be imported the second time or will they be recognized as previously imported records and ignored?  Is there a way to specify date ranges to export from the SurfShopPRO?
The first part of this question is a QuickBooks question, so I won't be able to answer that.  However, yes, you can specify date ranges.  Take a look at the SurfShopPRO Orders List admin page and you'll see the date fields in the blue header.
Is there a way to record the PayPal transaction fee into a particular account in QuickBooks automatically and record the purchase price minus transaction fee into the product sales account?
At present, SurfShopPRO does not record any gateway fees, so you'd probably have to set that up directly in QuickBooks.
Is there a way to offer affiliates a discount code that calculates a percentage discount rather than a fixed amount? (e.g. 5% discount as opposed to $5)
Yes. Coupons can be set up with either a fixed amount or a percentage.
Is there a way to associate use of a particular discount code with a particular account and prevent that code from being used by other users?
You can set up multiple Coupons with different names and passwords. There is also a Store Credit field for each customer, so you can give selected customers their own discounts.  It is on the Customer Detail page.
Is all support handled through this forum?  Even though it generally wouldn't be needed, is there a way to reach someone in the event of a major problem?  Is there a fee associated with those services?
All support is handled through this forum.  However, we do offer paid support if you need hands on help.  Contact us via e-mail if you're interested.
Are update releases included with purchase of a license?  How does your company notify customers of software changes or updates?
Maintenance updates and bug fixes are always free of charge.  These releases may also include functionality upgrades.  However, we may charge for major feature upgrades in the future.  SurfShopPRO is a paid upgrade from SurfShop 7, however there were a lot of improvements added to SurfShop during versions 6 and 7 that were not charged for.

I'm researching your other two questions and I'll answer those as soon as I can.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

Setting Up Shop Has Never Been Easier!

ki001

Post by ki001 » Dec 28, 2004 11:03 am

Thanks for responding.
The only functionality missing in the demo should be the check out function.  Other than that, it should be complete.
Thats what I thought too. but I tried to add categories and delete categories and couldn't.  The demo zip is missing a file "receipt.htm"  -- I reported this to your sales dept and received a response that I could not modify categories because checkout features are excluded.  I wasn't checking out. I was attempting to evaluate the core administration functionality.
At present, SurfShopPRO does not record any gateway fees, so you'd probably have to set that up directly in QuickBooks.
Is this a planned update?
All support is handled through this forum.  However, we do offer paid support if you need hands on help.  Contact us via e-mail if you're interested.
Please have someone e-mail me rates for support.
Maintenance updates and bug fixes are always free of charge.  These releases may also include functionality upgrades.  However, we may charge for major feature upgrades in the future.  SurfShopPRO is a paid upgrade from SurfShop 7, however there were a lot of improvements added to SurfShop during versions 6 and 7 that were not charged for.
How are customers notified of updates or patches?  That is, are notifications automated or would I need to visit the site periodically to learn about maintenance releases?

Thanks,
-ki

frankjan
Site Admin

Post by frankjan » Dec 28, 2004 12:43 pm

The demo zip is missing a file "receipt.htm"
That is just the "Thank you for your order" page.  It shouldn't have anything to do with the categories.  Let us know the exact error message [if any] that you are receiving so we can narrow this down.

Are you using a MySQL database, or one of the others?
At present, SurfShopPRO does not record any gateway fees, so you'd probably have to set that up directly in QuickBooks. Is this a planned update?
Add this request to the "Request New Features" section of the forum, and we'll add this to the list.
How are customers notified of updates or patches?
We are implementing a system to notify our paying customers when an update is released, but until that is completed, you'll need to check the "Updates & Announcements" section of this forum forum for any news.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

frankjan
Site Admin

Post by frankjan » Dec 28, 2004 5:56 pm

Ki,

Here are the answers to your other questions:
Is there a way to force users to setup an account to make purchases? (That is, not accept purchases unless the user creates an account first.  This will be used to avoid duplication upon import to Quickbooks and to track order history.)
The user account is set up automatically whether or not they opt into a full account. You can 'require' an account by making the password field a required field. The vast majority of customers have asked to have this requirement removed, so we made it an option rather than a requirement. By putting the password requirement back into the info page, you are essentially forcing an account to be created.
Are new customer accounts automatically setup in Quickbooks through the cart system export function?
Yes. The QuickBooks export uses the orders database to generate the customers, not the customers database. And as long as the Lastname, Firstname does not change, Quickbooks will recognize the account, and not duplicate it.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

frankjan
Site Admin

Post by frankjan » Jan 12, 2005 5:12 pm

ki001 wrote:Could be wrong, but the system may just need some dummy "receipt.htm" file to work properly in demo mode.
That is correct.  Just create a blank document named receipt.htm and place it in the output folder.  That should do the trick.

I apologize for the inconvenience.  We are working on a better way to distribute a working demo.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

ki001

Force User Accounts / Require Passwords

Post by ki001 » Feb 25, 2005 2:18 pm

Here is the original question:
Is there a way to force users to setup an account to make purchases? (That is, not accept purchases unless the user creates an account first.  This will be used to avoid duplication upon import to QuickBooks and to track order history.)
The user account is set up automatically whether or not they opt into a full account. You can 'require' an account by making the password field a required field. The vast majority of customers have asked to have this requirement removed, so we made it an option rather than a requirement. By putting the password requirement back into the info.htm page, you are essentially forcing an account to be created. This requires some knowledge of html.
Can direct me to which template should be edited and what to enter into it so that passwords are required (which will subsequently force account setups)?

Thanks,
-ki

frankjan
Site Admin

Re: Force User Accounts / Require Passwords

Post by frankjan » Mar 11, 2005 3:10 pm

Closed
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin