Moving Surfshop to a new file server.

Have a question about how SurfShop™ works? Post it here.

Moderator: frankjan

SeedGrower
anti_spam: No

Moving Surfshop to a new file server.

Post by SeedGrower » Sep 15, 2011 5:42 am

Due to some longstanding DNS issues, I'm going to need to back up and re-install my Surfshop installation to a new file server.

(1). I use version SSP Version #1.4.8 .
(2) There will be no change to my domain name. Looking at my Configuration screen, the only parameter that needs to be changed is the "Path to your Document Root" setting which will need to be changed from "myservername//www/plants" to just "myservername//www"
(3) All of the other server parameters should be the same, that is, the same version of perl, the same path to perl, etc.
(4) I have plain text data bases.

I'm going to backup my files, first by using Filezilla to copy the files in each of my Surfshop folders on the server to my desktop. Secondly, I'm going to use the linux 'tar' command to create archives in each of the three folders, /cgi-bin/surfshop , ssdata , and ssimages. I'll then copy those three .tar files to my desktop.

To restore Surfshop to my new server, will I need to do anything besides copying my three .tar files to the proper locations, unarchive the files, and then change my configuration "Path to your Document Root" setting.

Other than obviously backing up and restoring all of my /www files, is there anything else that I need to backup before making the move. I have already exported my customer lists, products, and categories to Excel .csv files, and copied the html code from my "check_out_script" into a text file that is saved on my desktop.

Thanks so much,

Stuart Pollack

frankjan
Site Admin

Re: Moving Surfshop to a new file server.

Post by frankjan » Sep 15, 2011 8:37 am

Hi Stuart,
SeedGrower wrote:To restore Surfshop to my new server, will I need to do anything besides copying my three .tar files to the proper locations, unarchive the files, and then change my configuration "Path to your Document Root" setting.
No, you should be good to go with that. Here's a link to the installation page of our wiki, which might help you during the move:
http://www.surfshopcart.com/dokuwiki/do ... stallation
Other than obviously backing up and restoring all of my /www files, is there anything else that I need to backup before making the move. I have already exported my customer lists, products, and categories to Excel .csv files, and copied the html code from my "check_out_script" into a text file that is saved on my desktop.
It sounds like you're not using MySQL, so yes, you'll need to export your info. However, that info should be retained in the data directory, so it should still be there after the move.

Can you do the new install while the old server is still up and running? If so, you can iron out any problems that you might run into before you have to go live.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

Setting Up Shop Has Never Been Easier!

SeedGrower
anti_spam: No

Re: Moving Surfshop to a new file server.

Post by SeedGrower » Sep 17, 2011 6:00 am

Frank,

I wanted to let you know that I moved Surfshop successfully to my new server. My hosting service let me keep both my old and new file systems up and running--but my initial backup worked fine on the new server without having to go back to the original files.

With a few path changes in the proper configuration files--everything I've tested so far works well.

For any prospective Surfshop buyers, I'm not any type of a linux expert. I'm comfortable using the command line to copy, move and edit text files, and I have a basic understanding of paths and file permissions--and that's about it.

But the important thing is that once my files were copied back to the right place on the new server, it only took a couple minutes of editing to get the program back on-line. To me, this level of simplicity gives me confidence that I can keep using Surfshop without interruption--as long as I do my part and back up my files on a regular basis.

Stuart