Shipping UPS Ground

SurfShopPRO™ has a powerful new calculation engine. Have you done something special with it? Share your calculation here. Or if you need help with a calc, ask away!

Moderator: frankjan

jifsurshop

Shipping UPS Ground

Post by jifsurshop » Feb 07, 2005 1:24 pm

:shock:

Hi Frank and everyone!  I wanted to let you know that this software is great and that I really enjoy working with it!  However, I do have some calculation questions that I would like some help with as my website is ready to go live, but I continue to have trouble with these calculations.   I need about five calculations setup, and I’m really hoping you can help me so I can get this going.

The first one is:

1. I read the calculation form and I noticed where someone submitted the Fed Ex zip code.  I’d like to know if anyone has the one for UPS Ground, and can tell me how to fill in the fields.  I downloaded the local zone file from the UPS website and I could not get it to work. Can someone please help with this?

2. The UPS ground calculation is based on pounds, but our products (dried flowers) are measured mostly in ounces.  I would like to know how to make the conversion.  I know this must be simple but I don’t want to break the program by adding decimals in the weight field.

3. Can I add a flat rate for shipping that would be included on every order, in addition to the UPS ground calculation (for example $2.50).

4. I would also like a calculation for all my retail customers (I have both retail and wholesale),  where for the retail customer, when ordering $250 or more, the  system figures a 50% discount for the total order.

5. And last I think the calculation that I created for UPS Ground broke my California tax calculation.  It used to work – now it doesn’t.

Thank You.  I hope you can help me resolve all these issues!

frankjan
Site Admin

Re: Shipping UPS Ground

Post by frankjan » Feb 09, 2005 9:31 am

Sorry for the delay.  I'm trying to get answers to some of your questions, but here's what I have so far.
Can I add a flat rate for shipping that would be included on every order, in addition to the UPS ground calculation (for example $2.50).
Sure.  Just make the first line of your freight calc:
=2.50
And last I think the calculation that I created for UPS Ground broke my California tax calculation.  It used to work – now it doesn’t.
Try deleting the CA Tax calc and enter it again.  That should fix it.  One shouldn't have anything to do with the other, though, so I'm not sure what happened.
I wanted to let you know that this software is great and that I really enjoy working with it!
Thanks for the compliment!
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

Setting Up Shop Has Never Been Easier!

frankjan
Site Admin

Post by frankjan » Feb 10, 2005 9:01 am

The UPS ground calculation is based on pounds, but our products (dried flowers) are measured mostly in ounces.  I would like to know how to make the conversion.  I know this must be simple but I don’t want to break the program by adding decimals in the weight field.
Adding decimals will not break anything.  SurfShopPRO handles weight in pounds only, for the time being, so you'll need to come as close as possible to the actual weight using decimals.
I would also like a calculation for all my retail customers (I have both retail and wholesale),  where for the retail customer, when ordering $250 or more, the  system figures a 50% discount for the total order.
Unfortunately, this is not possible at this time.  Calculations are applied to both Retail and Wholesale customers alike.  We'll add this to the wish list for a future release.

EDIT: SurfShopPRO now includes this functionality.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

jifsurshop

Post by jifsurshop » Feb 14, 2005 11:51 pm

Hi Frank,

I am still at a loss, even after your reply, on some specifics.

Question:
The UPS ground calculation is based on pounds, but our products (dried flowers) are measured mostly in ounces. I would like to know how to make the conversion. I know this must be simple but I don’t want to break the program by adding decimals in the weight field.

Your Answer:
Adding decimals will not break anything. SurfShopPRO handles weight in pounds only, for the time being, so you'll need to come as close as possible to the actual weight using decimals.

Comment: I recently exported the database after I made more corrections and I was looking at all the fields.  I noticed there is a field at the very end of the export that says "weightinoz".  What is this field?  Can you please find out if I can use this for all my weights which are currently in oz.?

We are running out of time and we have decided to put the website up, although it still needs fine-tuning, so we are going to forego using the wholesale side of it for now; so we would like to know how to set up in detail the 50% discount if the retail customer's order totals $250 or more.  Could you please elaborate on how to fill in the fields to get this function please?  I am not familiar with these calculation fields and how they work.

We are also leaving the shipping figures off the site for now, until we can find a UPS zip code file.  When I eliminated the shipping calculations, there is still one that says "shipping" at the total of the order - it says "$0.00".  I would just like this to be blank and not show anything - we are going to charge for shipping and don't want the site to mislead the customer to think we are not charging anything.  For now, we will notify the customer of their shipping charges by email.

I would like to contact you off-line so I can have you check my website and also maybe create the calculations for us since I don't understand how to at this time.  Let me know and I will send you a link to the website or create an account so you can look at my calculations.

Thank you,
Juan

:|

frankjan
Site Admin

Post by frankjan » Feb 22, 2005 1:20 pm

jifsurshop wrote:I recently exported the database after I made more corrections and I was looking at all the fields.  I noticed there is a field at the very end of the export that says "weightinoz".
Which database did you find this field in?
we would like to know how to set up in detail the 50% discount if the retail customer's order totals $250 or more.  Could you please elaborate on how to fill in the fields to get this function please?  I am not familiar with these calculation fields and how they work.
Please see the docs for a thorough explanantion, and examples, of the calculation functions.  Example 10 shows how to enter a base dollar amount in a calc, like your 'flat shipping' question.
When I eliminated the shipping calculations, there is still one that says "shipping" at the total of the order - it says "$0.00".  I would just like this to be blank and not show anything
I believe that one is required by SurfShopPRO.  However, with some knowledge of HTML, you can hide it so that it doesn't show to your customers.
I would like to contact you off-line so I can have you check my website and also maybe create the calculations for us since I don't understand how to at this time.
We can do things like this for a fee.  A "tune up" of your site can be done for $25.00 [see the description here]:

http://www.SurfShopCART.com/cgi-bin/sur ... emid=ss-20

Or we can customize your site for an hourly fee.  E-mail me for more info.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

frankjan
Site Admin

Post by frankjan » Feb 22, 2005 1:52 pm

The UPS ground calculation is based on pounds, but our products (dried flowers) are measured mostly in ounces. I would like to know how to make the conversion. I know this must be simple but I don’t want to break the program by adding decimals in the weight field.
I just got the definitive answer on this. The weight field does not require pounds as its unit of measure. It is a global unit field, which means that you can use pounds, ounces, or any other unit of measure you'd like. You just have to be consistent with what you use, i.e. you can't mix pounds and ounces - you'll have to use one or the other.
Frank Jance
SurfShop Forum Admin

jifsurshop

Post by jifsurshop » Feb 26, 2005 11:00 pm

Please see the following page for a thorough explanantion, and examples, of the calculation functions. Example 10 shows how to enter a base dollar amount in a calc, like your 'flat shipping' question.

The docs that you gave me worked really well. They are better than what I've been reading and it really helped me to get this and I got most of my calculations taken care of by reading these examples. But my shipping calculation still does not work.  It comes up with the right weight, but it does not find the shipping zone on the look up calculation. What I'm going to do is take your offer and follow your other link to do the 20 point tune up.  

I still really enjoy working with the software.

Thank you,
Juan